You may or may not have heard some of the controversy about the Netflix series “13 Reasons Why”. This series has caught the attention of many mental health professionals nationwide. The purpose behind the book (which the Netflix series is based off) is to bring attention to suicide and have youth seek help if they have suicidal thoughts. It can be especially provoking for those already struggling with depression and other mental health issues. For resources, check out these links:
A Teachable Moment: Using 13 Reasons Why to Initiate a Helpful Conversation about Suicide Prevention and Mental Health (AFSP/ASCA/NASP) (Webinar)
· Tips for Parents for Talking with their Children about 13 Reasons Why and Suicide (American Foundation for Suicide Prevention)
· Briefing in Connection with the Netflix Series 13 Reasons Why (International Association for Suicide Prevention)
· 13 Reasons Why Talking Points (The Jed Foundation/Suicide Awareness Voices of Education)
From Other Mental Health/Professional Organizations
· 13 Mental Health Questions about 13 Reasons Why (American Psychiatric Association)
· 13 Reasons Why Netflix Series: How School Counselors Can Help (American School Counselor Association)
· 13 Reasons Why Netflix Series: Considerations for Educators (National Association of School Psychologists)
· 13 Ways to Continue the Conversation about 13 Reasons Why (Active Minds)
Other Related Resources
· National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
· The Trevor Lifeline (The Trevor Project)
· SPRC Web Page for Suicide Prevention in Schools (Suicide Prevention Resource Center)
· Information for Parents webpage (Society for the Prevention of Teen Suicide)
· Not my Kid: What Parents Should Know about Teen Suicide (Society for the Prevention of Teen Suicide) (Video)
· Action Alliance Framework for Successful Messaging (National Action Alliance for Suicide Prevention)
· Recommendations for Reporting on Suicide (various)
Substance Abuse and Suicide
April 28, 2017, Def Jam rap artist Logic released a single from his upcoming album called “1-800-273-8255.” The song, which features Alessia Cara and Khalid, details the story of an individual in crisis who calls the Lifeline and finds hope and support. Alongside the song’s release, Logic’s team released several PSA-style videos sharing the stories of fans who were helped by Logic’s music and featuring the Lifeline logo and phone number.
Thanks to the Treasure Valley Association Of Health Underwriters for their bowling fundraiser last month! They had fun and raised over $2,100 for the hotline! A record fundraiser for them!
“I wanted to send my reflections on last night’s phone responder listening shift at the Idaho Suicide Prevention Hotline (ISPH). I appreciated the volunteers’ willingness to let me observe their interaction with callers and to answer my questions. I realize from the few hours I spent that there is a lot to learn about how to effectively interact with callers. It takes patience, great listening skills, lots of resources, and a stockpile of good questions. I believe there is so much I can learn about empathy and patience from volunteering. Secondly, I love the fact that this group of volunteers, with various backgrounds, is taking time of out of their busy lives to help those in need. I noticed each volunteer serving at the Hotline feels passionately about suicide prevention, and that passion is reflected in the empathic way they interact with callers. I also learned about the power of listening and providing resources in order to save lives. While the volunteers answering the phones are not clinical professionals, they still have an incredible ability to help people. I cannot wait to begin volunteering as a crisis phone responder at ISPH and to learn all I can from the experience and look forward to supporting the cause of suicide prevention.”
ISPH receives generous support from Valley Office Systems
A million thanks to our friends at Valley Office Systems for their generous in kind support in meeting the Hotline’s need for a an effective affordable copying /printing solution. Their team has been so friendly and helpful every step of the way. We highly recommend them!